[tlhIngan Hol] Body parts list

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 00:18:13 PDT 2020

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 at 22:02, Jeremy Silver <jp.silver at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> +----
> | loDmach    n    male genitalia, penis (body-part)
> +----

Was this approved by Okrand? A quick search turns up that it appeared in
the novel "Star Trek Vanguard: Harbinger" on p. 202.

I see that there's also a word *{tuQloS} from p. 200 referring to a kind of
vitamin pill taken by a Klingon spy disguised as a Human, to overcome the
deficiencies of non-Klingon food. Was Okrand involved in producing the
words for this book?

+----
> | melchoQ    n    marrow (bone), bone marrow (body-part)
> +----

I wonder if this is a mass noun or if it ever takes the plural suffix.

> +----
> | mInyoD     n    eyelid (body-part) [lit. "eye shield" (used in Klingon
> Hamlet)]
> +----

Used in Hamlet, but (retroactively) made canon by Okrand.

> +----
> | ngIb       n    ankle, knee. [also slang term of deprecation] (body-part)
> +----

Somewhat tangential question: would the plural suffix {-Du'} be used for
{ngIb} and {yeb} even when referring disparagingly to beings capable of
language?

> +----
> | pIp        n    spine, backbone (body-part)
> +----

The "backbone" part is non-canon?

> +----
> | porgh      n    body (body-part)
> +----

This is kind of a philosophical question, but is a body a body part? A
mathematician or philosopher might answer, yes, it is a body part, namely
the part corresponding to the whole. But the relevant question here is how
would one pluralise "two bodies", {cha' porghDu'} or {cha' porghmey}? Or is
it context-dependent?

> +----
> | tel        n    wing (body-part)
> +----

I wonder if a {toQDuj} has {telmey} or {telDu'}?

> +----
> | 'aDtay'    n    circulatory system (body-part)
> +----

Source?

--
De'vID