[tlhIngan Hol] weird rIntaH uses

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Jul 17 05:57:35 PDT 2020

On 7/17/2020 8:16 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> On the other hand though, there's no rule which prohibits writing:
>
> nuHIvbe' rIntaH
> nuHIvlaw' rIntaH
>
> For reasons I can't understand, there's something weird in "they've
> not attacked us and it cannot be undone".

They had just one chance to attack us, but they let it slip by, and now
they won't get another chance.

> And it's even weirder to hear "seemingly/apparently they attacked us
> and it cannot be undone".

The evidence suggests that the enemy launched a full-scale assault on
the home world while were were out here on the frontier. That means
we're at war now.

> I mean, how can you say that the attack cannot be undone, if you can't
> be sure it happened in the first place ?

But if it DID happen, you know it happened with finality.

> Let alone the fact that we *can* write:
>
> nuQaHneS rIntaH
>
> Where we have the type-7 {-taH} being preceded by the type-8 {-neS}.
> Of course, they're on different words, but neverthless the "feel" I
> always got from the {rIntaH} was that it is a member of the type-7
> verb suffix family.

To use *rIntaH* is to use a variant of the sentence-as-object
construction. Suffix order is arbitrary and irrelevant when suffixes are
on different words. *rIntaH* is not a suffix and should not be thought
of as a suffix.