[tlhIngan Hol] new words: ghIchDep

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Wed Jul 29 07:03:45 PDT 2020

On Jul 29, 2020, at 6:59 AM, Lieven L. Litaer <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:
> [...]
> I'm just checking that I'm getting this right; "carnival" reminds me of
> dancing people in the street, as you might know from Brasil, and also
> disguised in Germany nd other countries.

I distinguish between the spellings “carnival” (a traveling amusement park) and “Carnaval” (the Brazilian pre-Lent celebration).

> "Circus" makes me think of a big tent with clowns, artists and dancing
> elephants.
>
> Is that correct? Or do americans use "circus" to refer to a funfair?

In my experience, a traveling circus typically has a section called a “midway” with games of skill or chance and the kind of rides that one expects to see in an amusement park.

-- ghunchu'wI'