[tlhIngan Hol] placement of rIntaH relative to the verb

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 08:54:34 PST 2020

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 at 15:51, nIqolay Q <niqolay0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> MO uses "follow the verb" to refer to the placement of both constructions.
> In the {qar'a'} example {De' Sov qar'a' HoD}, the special construction
> described as following the verb comes before the explicit subject {HoD}. It
> seems reasonable to assume that when MO speaks of a special verb
> construction following the verb, he means right after the verb and before
> the subject. {rIntaH} is a special verb construction that follows the verb,
> so I conclude it would go before the subject: {qa'vam De' je' rIntaH
> valQIS.}

Also, while we don't have any canon examples from the 23rd or 24th century,
at least in Shex'pir's time, {rIntaH} followed the verb and came before the
subject:
{'ej, pIvmo', wovqu'taHvIS wuqbogh qab, 'oH ropmoH rIntaH Sotbogh qech ghom
Hurgh.}

In the inferior Federation Standard forgery, the line reads thus:
"And thus the native hue of resolution / Is sicklied o'er with the pale
cast of thought."

--
De'vID