[tlhIngan Hol] rIntaH and be-verbs

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 05:47:00 PST 2020

lieven:
> From ST3 {vIje' rIntaH} means that valkris
> has bought the thing, the
> action of buying is complete, in the sense
> that this situation will last
> forever, not that it's over forever.
SuStel:
> This is true for action verbs, because the
> verb brings about a change of state.
> When you je', you change the owner of
> the object of the sentence. rIntaH means
> that the action of buying is over, and the
> new state of ownership is  permanent.
> This works generally for action verbs.
> maghwI' vIjon rIntaH
> I captured the traitor.
> I set out to capture the traitor and
> completed that task. What I did was so
> effective, it can never be undone.

As this thread continues, I realize that I'm realizing facts with regards
to aspect, which I never realized before..

And now, I've begun to wonder with regards to the meaning of the {-choHpu'}
& {-choHmoHpu'} in verbs, such as {jon}.

If it's not much trouble, read the following sentences, and tell me if
you'd agree with the way I understand their meaning.

{jagh vIjonchoHpu'}:

I've have begun to capture the enemy. The event which has been completed,
is "my beginning the enemy's capture". But this sentence, does not specify
whether "the capturing" is completed.

Theoretically, it could mean as well "I begin that I have captured. the
enemy", but this translation, makes no sense.

{HoDvaD jagh vIjonchoHmoHpu'}:

I've caused the captain to begin to capture the enemy. The event which has
been completed, is the "my causing of the captain". The sentence does not
specify, whether the "capturing is completed".

Theoretically, it could mean too "I cause that the captain has begun to
capture the enemy", but again this makes no sense.

And there's something else I'd like to ask you..

Suppose I write:

{reH jIQuchpu'}
always I've been happy

..with the intention of meaning something like "In the past, I'always been
happy to (whatever)".

Does it make any sense ? The only way I can understand it is, "I've been
happy, that happiness is over, and this always has happened".

Would you understand this sentence differently ?

~ mayqel qunen'oS