[tlhIngan Hol] New Words from DIS 2889

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Jan 29 07:10:20 PST 2020

On 1/29/2020 9:59 AM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> Am 29.01.2020 um 15:44 schrieb SuStel:
>> We are told that *Suvchu'* means /fight to the death,/ so wherever we
>> see that word we should interpret it that way. (I disagree with Lieven
>
> Of course you do.

This sort of response is unnecessary, unhelpful, and deliberately
provocative.

>> that *Suvchu'* means /fight to the death/ when it refers to what
>> Klingons think but just /fight perfectly/ when it refers to what Terrans
>> footballers might think.
>
> But that's what KGT says, and there's a reason for it to say it. I quote
> again, in case you over-read it:
>
> "From the Klingon point of view, {Suvchu'} ("fight perfectly") is "fight
> to the death." (KGT, p. 49)

Yes, it's from the Klingon point of view. And I explained my thinking:
this phrase means that the Klingon language reflects the Klingon point
of view, not that the meaning changes depending on the point of view of
who says it or whom it's about.

Now, it's perfectly fine if you want to disagree with me on that. But I
did not "over-read" it.

>> This is the language of the Klingons,
>
> This moves back to the arguing of "Klingons would not say that", so I'd
> prefer to stay out of this kind of discussion.

You are incorrect. I'm not concluding anything what Klingons would or
would not say. KGT is saying what a phrase means, and it points to
Klingon culture as the source of that meaning. That's all.