[tlhIngan Hol] neH "only" in noun-noun constructions

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Fri Aug 21 12:11:10 PDT 2020

Forgive my DIvI’ Hol, but this is one of those valid, but challenging to parse in real time sentences, since it starts out meaning “Three satellites want one ship” (with the commonplace omission of {lu-} on {neH}), and then you hear {je} and need to start over.

It’s akin to “Throw that horse over the fence a bail of hay,” which is clearer as “Throw a bail of hay to that horse over the fence,” or “Throw a bail of hay over the fence to that horse."

You could have said {wej SIbDoH vIlegh, ‘ach wa’ Duj neH vIlegh} and said the same thing with the same emphasis, without the temporary confusion.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.