[tlhIngan Hol] {-'e'} on locatives which don't take {-Daq} and {-'e'} on time stamps

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Fri Aug 28 06:51:41 PDT 2020

On Aug 27, 2020, at 7:50 AM, mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> jIqon: {Dat'e' romuluS Dujmey tu'lu'}.
>
> nuq jatlh mu'tlheghvam ?
>
> DuH wa': "there are romulan ships EVERYWHERE".
> DuH cha': "as for everywhere, there are romulan ships".
> DuH wej: qIt Hoch DuHmey vorgh.
>
> jIqon: {DaSjaj'e' jIvumchoH}.
>
> nuq jatlh mu'tlheghvam ?
>
> DuH wa': "I begin to work on MONDAY".
> DuH cha': "as for monday, I begin to work".
> DuH wej: qIt Hoch DuHmey vorgh.
>
> ~ Qa'yIn

The {-'e'} suffix does not “emphasize” a noun. It marks it as the topic of a sentence, or draws focus to it. The kind of emphasis you are trying to express here is not done with syntax. It is done through vocal stress or text formatting, as in your first options.

*Dat* jagh Dujmey lutu'lu'
*DaSjaj* jIvumchoH

-- ghunchu'wI'