[tlhIngan Hol] {-'e'} on locatives which don't take {-Daq} and {-'e'} on time stamps

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Aug 27 13:27:31 PDT 2020

I’m a little confused.

{tlhIngan Duj} is a Klingon ship because the ship is associated with a Klingon or with Klingons.

{romuluS Duj} is … a Romulus ship, not a Romulan ship. It apparently belongs to or is associated with the planet, not the people on it. I would have expected {RomuluSngan Duj}. Either that, or we should be talking about {Qo’noS Duj} instead of {tlhIngan Duj}.

I find it odd to add {-‘e’} to a locative, since there are very few locatives that can take a Type 5 suffix, since most locative references use {-Daq}, which is Type 5, and you can’t have two Type 5 suffixes on a noun.

I do interpret the second example as "As for Monday, I begin to work.” I could see you continue with more sentence that follow, all still on the topic of Monday for as long as it makes sense for that topic context to hold. You don’t need {-‘e’} for a simple time stamp and it’s not like a head noun of a relative clause — you aren’t grammatically marking the noun toward some grammatical disambiguation. Maybe you are being emphatic, or you are setting up a topic, and topics are significant enough to provide contexts for multiple sentences, or so I’ve always presumed.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.