[tlhIngan Hol] mu' chu': 'aS 'IDnar pIn'a' Dun

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Thu Apr 23 23:28:47 PDT 2020

Am 23.04.2020 um 22:30 schrieb SuStel:
> But they will be listed on everyone's word lists,

As are many other noun phrases that cannot be taken as one word.

> friend boQwI', as /the/ translations for /fairy tale,/ not just
> convenient descriptions Okrand tried out.

I have added a note into my word list saying that it is not a definite
set phrase for fairay tale.

> Okrand did not give us just *lut rorgh.* Both of his translations
> involve *puq.*

Both of three. He also gave us {lut rogh}.

Analysing his text (quoted in between) he first told us to not translate
"fairy tale" literally, do not use {SIqnaSwaq}.

<<<I wouldn't use SIqnaSwaq lut for "fairy tale," however.>>>

Then, I think that Okrand had "fairy tale" in his mind, whch usually
reminds of children stories, so he suggested

<<<For that, I'd probably go with puq lut>>>

and he immediately noticed that it is no necessarily for children, so he
added

<<<or lut rorgh>>>

and then a combination of both

<<<or puq lut rorgh.>>>

> A child making up a story about how a strange man entered
> the kitchen and ate all the cookies is a *lut rorgh* — even a *puq lut
> rorgh* — but not a fairy tale.

Yes, of course. Inside the story, maybe Klingons don't have fairy tales,
or they consider fairy tales made for children only. (like some poeple
say "Don't watch Star Trek, that's a children TV show")

Going back to the words, I would say that {lut} had included "fairy
tales" all the time. In their core, they are all stories. And in this
case, where we speak of stories in the kind of "Snowwhite" and unicorns
and the brothers Grimm, those are children stories, {puq lut} logically.
And then we realise that there are indeed unicorn stories that are not
made for children, so they are just {lut}. And to differentiate them
from a story that really happened, add {rorgh} to make it a fantasy
story, a fictive story.

Also keep in mind the way the questions went: DeSDu' asked for "fairy
tale", MO gave him {puq lut}. If asked the other way, the answer would
have been, no, it IS different. A story for children.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"