[tlhIngan Hol] mu' chu': 'aS 'IDnar pIn'a' Dun

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Apr 23 13:30:47 PDT 2020

On 4/23/2020 3:24 PM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> Am 23.04.2020 um 20:29 schrieb SuStel:
>>> puq lut n. fairy tale
>>> puq lut rorgh n. fairy tale
> [...]
>> See especially J.R.R. Tolkien's essay /On Fairy Stories./ He would
>> object to calling fairy tales /child-stories/ the way Klingon does.
>
> Oh, yes - that is true. And I think there is no reason to see this as a
> set phrase. Note that Okrand gave all these as "I'd probably go with A
> or B or C." so it looks like you can - or even have to - choose
> depending on context.
>
> In addition, {lut rorgh} indicates nothing about children, so also not a
> fairy tale in the sense of "children bedtimes tory". Basically a {lut
> rorgh} can be any kind of story.
>
> One might even say that Okrand didn't give us a word for "fairy tale",
> only a suggestion to describe the idea.

But they will be listed on everyone's word lists, including our old
friend boQwI', as /the/ translations for /fairy tale,/ not just
convenient descriptions Okrand tried out.

Okrand did not give us just *lut rorgh.* Both of his translations
involve *puq.* A child making up a story about how a strange man entered
the kitchen and ate all the cookies is a *lut rorgh* — even a *puq lut
rorgh* — but not a fairy tale.