[tlhIngan Hol] does the {-ta'} leave room for interpretation for the {-pu'} ?

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Apr 16 07:54:07 PDT 2020

You seem to be ignoring the option of saying {qaqIpbe’ta’} and treating that as if it were synonymous with {qaqIpta’be’}.

The former definitely means that I accomplished not hitting you. I had a goal of not hitting you and I achieved it. Maybe you were acting like the kind of jerk that would have pushed a less patient man over the threshold, but I made a promise not to hit you (to myself or someone else), and I kept it.

{qaqIpta’be’} suggests that both the fact of hitting you and the goal of hitting you didn’t happen. Essentially, the goal of hitting you was not achieved. Context might make it more conclusive whether any hitting happened or not, but definitely there was a goal and it wasn’t achieved.

Maybe I swung at you, but you ducked and I lightly grazed you and now you are whining about it, and I’m explaining that that little tap was nothing significant. It shouldn’t even count as hitting you. It was nothing I’d brag about and nothing you should complain about.

Or maybe I just haven’t gotten around to it yet. Next time I see you, I intend to punch your lights out, but I haven’t seen you since I saw your message that triggered my new goal of placing my fist two inches past the boundary that is your face.

As always, context clarifies the details.

Does this help?

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.