[tlhIngan Hol] scope of the {jay'}

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Fri Sep 13 07:45:29 PDT 2019

Am 13.09.2019 um 15:48 schrieb mayqel qunen'oS:> {jabbI'ID bojemchugh,
vaj mIch bo'elpu' jay'}

> Where does the {jay'} refer ? To the {vaj mIch bo'elpu'} only ? Or to
> the whole phrase {jabbI'ID bojemchugh, vaj mIch bo'elpu' jay'} ?

The problem here is that {jabbI'ID bojemchugh} is not a complete
sentence, it's part of the entire thing and cannot stand alone, so I do
not see much difference between the two versions. In English, it's like
"If you can read this, you entered the f***ing sector." That's not
different from only "you entered the f***ing sector".

Of course, in English you may repeat the F-word to emphasie the first
part by rephrasing it. THat also works in Klingon:

{jabbI'ID bojem jay'. vaj mIch bo'elpu' jay'.}
"You detected the F**ing message. So you've entered the f**ing sector."

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"