[tlhIngan Hol] verb prefix with {'ar}

Lawrence M. Schoen klingonguy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 07:37:38 PDT 2019

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 9:32 AM SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> So unless there's an example I can't think of, we don't have anything
> conclusive. I tend toward *Duj 'ar wIghaj,* because the noun that *'ar*
> is attached to is not allowed a plural suffix, so why not avoid a plural
> prefix as well?

David makes an interesting case, though I don't know that I agree with it.

Rather, I think this is a great opportunity to subtly indicate the attitude
of the speaker and take advantage of the rule that nouns don't need to be
marked with a suffix to be seen as plural.

Imagine a scenario in which our speaker has been told to prepare for a
hopeless battle. In one version, the speaker is depressed but realistic. In
another version, the speaker is crazily optimistic. Something like this
would go a long way to driving the pronoun choice (at least for me).

That said, David has spent much more time pondering this and similar
details of grammar. I'm just popping in because this one caught my
attention.

Lawrence