[tlhIngan Hol] verb prefix with {'ar}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Sep 12 06:32:18 PDT 2019

On 9/12/2019 9:10 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> i'm almost certain this has been discussed in the past, but I don't
> remember what had been decided.

We don't "decide" anything here, we just discuss.

> Do we say {Duj 'ar wIghaj}, or {Duj 'ar DIghaj} ?
>
> I'd tend towards the latter, since what we're actually asking is, "how
> many ships do we have ?".
>
> But I'd like to know, if there's a definite answer with regards to
> this matter, or it's just another "use the force" problem.

*'ar* hasn't been used much. It appears in *nIn 'ar wIghaj*/How much
fuel do we have left?/ in several sources. In other places it's used the
prefix doesn't distinguish singular or plural.

*nIn 'ar wIghaj* isn't terribly helpful, since *nIn* /fuel/ is clearly a
mass noun.

So unless there's an example I can't think of, we don't have anything
conclusive. I tend toward *Duj 'ar wIghaj,* because the noun that *'ar*
is attached to is not allowed a plural suffix, so why not avoid a plural
prefix as well?