[tlhIngan Hol] missing words from kli's "new words not in the original lexicon"

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 06:20:07 PDT 2019

David Holt:

> I wouldn't count that as canon.  Is Dr.

> Okrand never allowed to just have a

> casual conversation without being careful

> that he is also making an offical canon

> pronouncement?  So Dr. Okrand

> occaionally uses mu'mey ru' and mu'mey

> ghoQ.  That doesn't make those words

> canon, it shows us that it's OK to use

> mu'mey ru' and mu'mey ghoQ.  Feel free

> to use them.  But don't expect them to

> appear in official dictionaries.

I don't agree with this argument.

If we accept it, then who will be the one deciding, "when okrand is speaking casually, and when he's officially creating canon" ?

Perhaps, the need never appeared again for okrand to use {qabpaq}. So, how could someone dismiss it, as being "a one-time temporary word only" ?

Personally, I'd expect every new word spoken by okrand to appear in official dictionaries, (if there were ever any), but with a note informing the reader, when it was said/heard/written etc.

If not for any other reason, then at least for the purpose to inform someone who sees it being used by someone, to know why that person is using it to start with.

~

bara'qa'