[tlhIngan Hol] difference in {-meH}ing intransitive verbs

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Oct 3 13:19:39 PDT 2019

The problem is that you are tossing us a sentence fragment and asking us what it means without any context.

I was presuming you meant something like {bIrmeH betgham jan vISuq.}

I seek and find a device for the purpose of the liquid being cold.

Even this is ambiguous because it either means:

I seek and find an in-order-that-the-liquid-is-cold device. What kind of device do I seek? I seek one that has the purpose of resulting in the cold liquid.

 or

It could mean I seek a device, in order that the liquid is cold. Why am I looking for the device? I’m looking for the purpose of the liquid being cold.

Note that in neither case does the device need to make the liquid cold. It could be a thermos. Something else could make it cold. The device merely keeps it cold.

Or maybe the device collects a cold liquid. Again, it doesn’t have to make it cold.

Either the device has the purpose of the liquid being cold, or my seeking the device has the purpose of the liquid being cold.

Anyway, if you gave us a sentence that contained the phrase you are working with, we’d understand you better and would be less likely to jump to assumptions.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.