[tlhIngan Hol] Type 9-ed verb as SAO

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Sat Nov 30 20:39:09 PST 2019

SAO stands for “Sentence As Object”.

Your examples use verbs with Type 9 suffix. These are not sentences. They are dependent clauses; sentence fragments.

Most of the time, your translations include self-invented, unstated echoes of the verb, as if it had been stated, but Klingon grammar doesn’t work like that.

Your first example, for example, {bIpawDI’ ‘e’ lutu’} supposedly means “When you arrive they will notice that you arrive.” So, where, in the Klingon sentence, is the word you have translated into the second “you arrive”? It’s not in the Klingon. It’s only in the English. Your English translation pretends that it was stated in the Klingon. It wasn’t.

Your last example does make sense, though, because {bImob} is a complete sentence, which is represented by {‘e’} in the sentence that follows it: {bIpawDI’ ‘e’ lutu’}.

Everything else is grammatically wrong.

And don’t try a Question As Object. Just look in the archives. This one has been argued to death over and over. It doesn’t work. Trust me, and please don’t put us through it again.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.