[tlhIngan Hol] Type 9-ed verb as SAO

Hugh Son puqloD Hugh at qeylIS.net
Sat Nov 30 18:41:53 PST 2019

Do we have any canon examples of clauses with verbs taking type-9 suffixes which are then used as the object of another verb? For the purposes of this question, ignore {-bogh}, {-ghach}, and {-wI'}, as those all turn the verb into a noun or make it part of a clause that acts as a noun grammatically.

As an example of what I mean, can any of the sentences mean what the accompanying translations say? (I know all of these sentences could be rewritten to avoid using this construction, the point is to illustrate it in use.)

{bIpawDI' 'e' lutu'} When you arrive they will notice that you arrive
{vIje'chugh 'e' vIpay} If I buy it I will regret buying it
{Sulengpa' 'e' bonabnIS} Before you travel you need to plan traveling
{mayIttaHvIS 'e' wIbuSbe'} While we are walking we don’t focus on us walking
{QapmeH 'e' lunIDnIS} In order for them to succeed they need to attempt to succeed
{Saghqu'mo' 'e' mevbe'} Because she is very serious she doesn’t stop being serious

I found that verbs with {-'a'} and {-jaj} seemed a bit weirder when acting as SAO, probably because they change the mood:

{DalIjpu''a'? 'e' Datlhoj'a'?} Did you forget it? Did you realize that you forgot it?
{malopjaj; 'e' wItIvjaj} May we celebrate; may we enjoy celebrating

Or is it the case that SAO has to have a verb without a type nine suffix? I won’t do this for all of the above examples, but as an example of a type 9-ed verb coming before an SAO pronoun but not being the actual SAO:

{bImob bIpawDI' 'e' lutu'} When you arrive they will notice that you are alone