[tlhIngan Hol] Suffix-number questions in the KLCP test

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Mon Nov 25 22:30:05 PST 2019

Am 25.11.2019 um 21:21 schrieb SuStel:
> In this point, the KLI tests test knowledge of Klingon grammar, not
> ability to use Klingon.

Indeed that's the point, I agree with SuStel. And for many people who
take the test, it's a very disappointing thing.

When I first took the test, I already had a good basic understanding of
the language. I closely knew all phrases from TKW from my head, I
certainly knew half of TKD's words, and I could contruct a dialogue
quite well without making any major mistakes. I was definitely ready to
take a level 1 test of any kind. (just for the record, I became
Beginners Grammarian one year later)

And then I was hit by the question: "Identify the suffix type". And what
was even worse was, that there were about 4 or 5 of those questions in a
test with only 20 questions. The requirements say you need to have 16 of
them correct to pass the test. So, if you haven't memorized these type
numbers, you will definitely fail.

I'm not saying that the test is bad, and I also admire those who made
it, as I see it was a lot of work. But I agree that it is very
disappointing for those who want to take the test. Sure - nobody HAS to
take the test, but it's just dispappointing for those who try. As SuStel
says: it's a test of knowledge of grammar, not ability to use Klingon.
And most students want to prove the latter. Many think like "Hey, look,
I speak Klingon" and this test is a fist in their face saying "no, you
don't."

It's like the English test asking "What time situation is 'I have been
learning'?"

PS: Once you have passed Level 1, the next level 2 and 3 are not so hard.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"