[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qubbID

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 25 07:23:24 PST 2019

Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, November 25, 2019

Klingon word: qubbID
Part of speech: noun
Definition: span, run, stretch (between)
Source: qep'a' 26 [2019]

DaSjaj buqjaj (je) qubbID maleng
We travel Monday to Friday.
We travel between Monday and Friday. (qep’a’ 2019)

DaSjaj buqjaj (je) qubbID maghom
We meet between Monday and Friday.
We meet Monday to Friday. (qep’a’ 2019)

(qep’a’ 2019 booklet):  There are two ways to say between, depending on meaning.
(1) “between A and B” means “at some (perhaps unknown) point between A and B”. In this case, A and B are the extremes of a range. The construction makes use of {rav} "minimum" and {'aqroS} "maximum":  {rav A 'aqroS B} ... For example, {rav cha' 'uj(mey) 'aqroS loS 'uj(mey) 'ab} "has a length between two and four *ujes*" (it's at least two *ujes* long and no more than four).
(2) "between A and B" means the full stretch of time (or distance or whatever), from one end of the span to the other. In this case, the noun {qubbID} is used:  {DaSjaj buqjaj (je) qubbID maleng} "we travel Monday to Friday" or "we travel between Monday and Friday".  Compare: {DaSjaj buqjaj (je) qubbID maghom} "we meet between Monday and Friday, we meet Monday to Friday" and {rav DaSjaj 'aqroS buqjaj maghom} "we meet between Monday and Friday, we meet at some point between Monday and Friday.”

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons