[tlhIngan Hol] neH and nouns joined by je

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 11 07:20:47 PST 2019

I could find only one example of either method, a NON-CANON line by Qov from DISCOVERY:

QongtaHvIS HeghDI' SuvwI', 'oynot, Hom je neH yugh.
A warrior who dies in his sleep is no more than flesh and bone.
 (DSC/Qov "Battle At the Binary Stars")

Voragh
From: tlhIngan-Hol <tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org> On Behalf Of SuStel
I see only a cat and the chancellor
vIghro' Qang je neH vIlegh
vIghro neH Qang neH je vIlegh

On 11/11/2019 9:06 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:

lieven:

> I think the second is a bit contradictory, from a logical point of view.

Yes, you're right. I noticed that too, while writing the initial message.

But other than that, does this matter come down to just personal preference ?

No, I think Lieven has it right. The second sentence not only makes no sense, it doesn't say what you want it to say. It's not a matter of preference. You want to say that you see a cat, the chancellor, and nothing else. You construct the noun phrase vIghro' Qang je cat and chancellor, then you modify that to say that that's all you saw: vIghro' Qang je neH only the cat and the chancellor.