[tlhIngan Hol] neH and nouns joined by je

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Nov 11 06:41:27 PST 2019

/I see only a cat and the chancellor/
*vIghro' Qang je neH vIlegh*
*vIghro neH Qang neH je vIlegh*

On 11/11/2019 9:06 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:

> lieven:
>
> > I think the second is a bit contradictory,
>
> > from a logical point of view.
>

> Yes, you're right. I noticed that too, while writing the initial message.
>

> But other than that, does this matter come down to just personal
> preference ?

No, I think Lieven has it right. The second sentence not only makes no
sense, it doesn't say what you want it to say. It's not a matter of
preference. You want to say that you see a cat, the chancellor, and
nothing else. You construct the noun phrase *vIghro' Qang je*/cat and
chancellor,/ then you modify that to say that that's all you saw:
*vIghro' Qang je neH*/only the cat and the chancellor./