[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tarDIghaD

Hugh Son puqloD Hugh at qeylIS.net
Wed Nov 6 05:20:58 PST 2019

> On Nov 6, 2019, at 05:28, Lieven L. Litaer <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Seems like they underestimated the quality of a Klingon translator and
> decided to use the Bing translator for their corrections... or maybe
> even nothing.

No, the translations still seem good if you correct for the obvious “tlhIngan Hol typed with a xifan hol font” effect. I think they just wanted to make it MOAR KLINGONE by using a “Klingon” font but didn’t realize what they were doing. The apparently new text that was likely not part of the original translation is just in English but in the pIqaD font, it’s not something badly translated into Klingon by Bing or the likes.

Even using Bing to transliterate the original, correct translations to pIqaD would have worked fine back when Bing supported both “Klingon” and “Klingon (pIqaD)” (it no longer appears to have pIqaD support). Whoever updated the website obviously didn’t realize that there isn’t a 1:1 mapping between Latin glyphs in the standard Okrandian orthography and pIqaD glyphs.