[tlhIngan Hol] how would you understand {'eladya' DaqDaq} ?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Nov 13 08:06:48 PST 2019

I assume you are distinguishing between (modern) Greece vs. the (ancient) Greek cultural region (Greece proper, Macedonia, Cyprus, Ionia, Magna Graecia, etc.)?  In which case I would say {'elaDya'Daq} vs. {'elaDya' SepDaq}.

I would not use {'elaDya' DaqDaq} "in the site/place/location of Greece" unless I were, say, pointing at a spot on a map.  Although it's grammatical, we've never seen {DaqDaq} except for the odd-sounding:

  QongDaqDaq Qotbe' tlhInganpu'
  Klingons do not lie in bed. TKW

and that's because {QongDaq} is a specific noun meaning bed

Voragh

-----Original Message----------Original Message----------Original Message-----