[tlhIngan Hol] expressing ratio

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Nov 6 06:36:24 PST 2019

AFAIK Maltz didn’t explain how to use {loch} “be a fraction of, make up a portion of, constitute part of” with a noun:

(qep’a’ 2019):  {wej loch cha'} 2/3 ; {vagh loch wej} 3/5 ; {loS loch jav} 6/4.  In theory, if appropriate in a mathematical discussion, one could say {wa' loch wej} “three one-ths”.  (Though perhaps a little grammatically aberrant, this would not be {wa' luloch wej}.)
We know that numbers precede the noun they refer to (e.g. {wa’ DuS} “one torpedo tube”) unless they’re a label or designation (e.g. {DuS wa'} “torpedo tube number 1”) , so let’s look at how the related nouns {bID}, {SubmaH}, and {vatlhvI’} are used:

bID                        half (n)
cha' choQmey naQ tu'lu' 'ej tep choQ bIngDaq lo' law' bID choQ tu'lu'
2 Full Decks and a Half Utility Deck under the Cargo Deck   (KBoP)

 yopwaH bID     shorts (pants) (TNK)
 paH bID             skirt (TNK)
 DIr paH bID       kilt-like garment (qepHom 2015)
SubmaH              fraction,  ratio (n)

(qep'a' 2018):  can be used to mean “frequency” in such constructions as {wanI’ SubmaH} “frequency, occurrence ratio” or {yay SubmaH} “victory ratio” “or frequency of victories"

vatlhvI'                 percent (n)
  cha'maH vagh vatlhvI' Hong, QIt yIghoS
   Slow to one quarter impulse power.  (ST5)
  SIS 'e' 'aqlu', javmaH vatlhvI' DIch
   It is predicted it will rain, 60% certainty. (qep'a' 2017)

Hmm… {vatlhvI’} precedes the noun, {SubmaH} follows the noun, while {bID} does both!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

From: mayqel qunen'oS
If I want to say "one fourth of a region", then what do I say ?

{loS loch wa' Sep} or  {Sep loS loch wa'}