[tlhIngan Hol] mu'mey chu' lutHom.

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 14:30:34 PST 2019

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 4:59 PM SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> As for the *-lan,* as nIqolay points out, he's always transliterated
> *-land* as *-lan.* I expect that's to avoid piling on too many extra
> syllables. The final *d* just isn't all that important. But the initial
> *S* and *c* are equally important.

He still sometimes adds an extra syllable for other word-final consonant
clusters:

   - {ma'rIch} (Barbara) March
   - {rabe'rIt} Robert (O'Reilly)
   - {wa'lIS} (Gwynyth) Walsh

I think "-land" gets trimmed to {-lan} because /n/ and /d/ are both voiced
alveolar consonants, so they're more similar. (The fact that Klingon
doesn't have a /d/ sound might help here too.)