[tlhIngan Hol] “In a usual manner”

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed May 22 07:09:09 PDT 2019

AFAIK SkyBox SP3 is the only known example of the adverbial {motlh} .  I haven’t been following this thread closely, but has anyone mentioned the adverbial {roD} “usually, customarily, habitually, regularly”:

   roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH
   [Qo'noS] is usually referred to as simply "The Homeworld." (S27)

I checked and unfortunately neither adverbial is used in the paq’batlh.

Okrand’s use of the quality {motlh} “be usual, normal, standard” may be useful to the discussion:

  tera'ngan motlhbe' SoH
  You are an unusual Terran. (PK)
  nISwI' HIch motlh HoS Hal qengwI' naQ tIq je lurarlu'bogh 'oH
     tlhIngan nISwI' beH'e'
  The Klingon disruptor rifle is a standard hand held disruptor,
    attached to an extended power supply stock. (S14)
  qughDo motlh: pIvlob vagh
  Normal Cruising Speed - Warp 5  (KBoP)
  Duj ghajchugh vay', cha'logh boq'egh qav'ap motlh; chen qav'ap le'.
    ghajwI'vaD qav'ap le' yIDIl.
  If [ship is] owned, pay owner twice the rental to which they are otherwise
     entitled. (MKE)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons