[tlhIngan Hol] What would you do ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu May 30 11:02:24 PDT 2019

On 5/30/2019 1:34 PM, Will Martin wrote:
> Note that it’s not two sentences. It’s four. In English, we translate
> it as two, but in Klingon, it is four. One does not usually end a
> sentence with a semicolon.

It's four sentences. It's also two sentences. A sentence-as-object is
both one and two sentences. It is what TKD calls a complex sentence, as
opposed to a basic sentence.

*jIpuj 'e' vItem.* There are two sentences here: *jIpuj* and *'e'
vItem.* But a sentence is a structure that stands alone and contains a
complete idea. The first sentence, *jIpuj,* is not an idea I'm trying to
convey. It's the setup to the real idea, the context I need to make it work.

This is all exactly the same in English. /I deny that I am weak./ It
consists of two sentences: /I deny that/ and /I am weak./ We recognize
that each is a standalone sentence grammatically, but we also recognize
that /I deny that I am weak/ is also a sentence. Just as in Klingon, we
don't bother to punctuate the two component sentences.

The only difference between the Klingon and the English, besides the
reversed syntax order, is that Klingon grammarians call *'e'* a pronoun
and English grammarians, describing this particular function, call
/that/ a conjunction.

One does not usually end a sentence with a semicolon, but one does
separate two sentences with a semicolon when one is setting up a
relationship between them. The first "sentence" will "end" with a
semicolon. /I ate too much; I can't stand up./ Two related sentences,
put together into a single sentence with a semicolon to form a single
idea out of two. The first of the related sentences ends in a semicolon.