[tlhIngan Hol] doubly {-meH}ed nouns

Jeffrey Clark jmclark85 at gmail.com
Tue May 14 10:52:32 PDT 2019

Sent from my iPad

> On May 14, 2019, at 11:33, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:
>
>> On 5/14/2019 11:21 AM, Jeffrey Clark wrote:
>>> On May 14, 2019, at 10:05, mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> However, the intended meaning was "I will present for the chancellor a
>>> thinning training program".
>>>
>>> Then, based on the "romulan hunter-killer probe" Ca'Non, the thought
>>> entered my mind to write:
>>>
>>> {QangvaD, qeqmeH 'ej langmeH mIw vImuch}
>>> I will present for the chancellor a process in order to train and in
>>> order to thin
>> In this construction, how does one differentiate between something with two purposes versus a purpose that is serving another one? Or does one just rely on context?
>>
>> Because it could be a process for training that also will make him thin (but the training is it’s own purpose and lacks a direct causal link to the thinning), or it could be a process that trains him with the explicit purpose that the training makes him thin.
> The 'ej gives the game away. It has to connect two verbal clauses of the same type, which means they can't be modifying each other. The only possible conjunction here is between the qeqmeH and the langmeH, so there's no chance that qeqmeH is modifying langmeH.
>
> I wouldn't want to construct a sentence where one purpose clause modifies another purpose clause. Start nesting clauses too deep and they become hard to understand.

What you say follows my intuition, but the example provided seems to counter this.

The sentence above {qeqmeH ‘ej langmeH} implies that the process is to train and to thin the chancellor as dual purposes (equality of purpose) — however my understanding is that the intent is that the training is causal to the thinning. A causal relationship seems like it should be {langmeH qeqmeH mIw} — “for the purpose of thinning, a processing for training”.

—jevreH