[tlhIngan Hol] Transitivity of qID

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed May 8 08:38:53 PDT 2019

On 5/8/2019 11:30 AM, Will Martin wrote:
> I think it’s important to note when there are or are not parentheses
> around the object in the gloss. {He’} doesn’t have parentheses, and I
> suggest it takes no direct object. Those with parentheses are simply
> examples of the sort of direct object that the verb can take. As such
> {qID}’s gloss is “joke, make a joke, tell a joke”. No parentheses.
> That suggests that the direct object in the gloss is implicit and not
> merely exemplary. It suggests that {qID} takes no object.

*largh* /smell, sense odors,/ and yet we have *vay' DalarghDI' yIqaw*
and *reH bang larghlu'* in TKW.

I don't think you can say that a verb translated with an explicit object
without parentheses indicates that object must be already built into the
verb, leading to no explicit object allowed. It just means Okrand hasn't
been particularly consistent in how he punctuates his translations.