[tlhIngan Hol] Apollo mission sentence

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed May 1 12:09:24 PDT 2019

On 5/1/2019 2:55 PM, SuStel wrote:

>> Thirdly, {maS SaqmeH Qu’} is ungrammatical because you can’t put a
>> verb in the middle of a noun-noun possessive construction.
>
> Says who? *SaqmeH Qu'* is a noun phrase, and noun phrases can count as
> the "noun" parts of a noun-noun construction. Are you saying that if I
> have a *pe'meH taj*/cutting knife, /I can't talk about the *jonwI'
> pe'meH taj*/engineer's cutting knife/?

Here's another unambiguous counterexample:

*loS... qIb HeHDaq, 'u' SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He
ghoSlu'bogh retlhDaq 'oHtaH.
*/It waits... on the edge of the galaxy, beside a passage to unknown
regions of the universe/ (SkyBox 99)

The interesting part is *He ghoSlu'bogh retlhDaq*/beside a passage, next
to a way which one follows./ Here you have clearly have *He
ghoSlu'bogh*/passage, way which one follows/ modifying *retlhDaq* /at
the area next to/, where a verb comes between the component nouns.

And of course there's the infamous *romuluSngan Sambogh 'ej HoHbogh
nejwI'* /Romulan hunter-killer probe,/ a device made by Romulans, not
one which hunts and kills Romulans. A noun-noun construction where one
of the component noun phrases is *Sambogh 'ej HoHbogh nejwI'.* Clearly,
you can put a lot of non-nouns between terms in a noun-noun construction.