[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'uSu'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed May 1 10:44:31 PDT 2019

On 5/1/2019 1:38 PM, Steven Boozer wrote:

> De’vID:
>
> > "Drak doo" could be some kind of Klingon dialect for {DaH yIDIl}.
>
> At the time I thought this was meant to be Paramount Hol for “Bon
> appetit!”
>
> In “Conversational Klingon” though, after bringing the hapless Terran
> tourist to Kronos “dinner number three” (qagh and pipius claw), the
> waitress told him:
>
> *  yISop*,*tera'ngan*
>   Bon appetit, Terran. ["Eat (it), Terran!"] CK

I take the *yISop / */bon appetit/ of /CK/ to be a bit of tourist humor.
The Klingon is saying /Eat!/ as in, "I brought you this food, now you
better eat it!" The translation is trying to make it sound polite,
something a tourist would hear in a high-class restaurant on Earth.

So the Klingon chef in DS9 could be saying anything. There's nothing
saying it isn't the actual Klingon equivalent of /bon appetit,/ though
it could just as easily mean "Next customer!"