[tlhIngan Hol] Transitivity of qID

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed May 8 09:36:22 PDT 2019

On Wed, May 8, 2019, 17:38 SuStel, <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> I don't think you can say that a verb translated with an explicit object
> without parentheses indicates that object must be already built into the
> verb, leading to no explicit object allowed. It just means Okrand hasn't
> been particularly consistent in how he punctuates his translations.

These take a spear (or spear-like projectile) as the object:
{chuH} "throw (a spear) at, hurl (a spear) at"
{ghuS} "lower (spear) to horizontal to attack"
{wob} "hurl a spear by means of a {chetvI'}"

These take the thing played as the object:
{chu'} "play (a musical instrument)"
{rIl} "play (a wind instrument)"
{Quj} "play a game"

These take the thing blown into as the object:
{jo'} "blow into a container of some kind"
{SuS} "blow (into wind instrument) to produce sound"

The brackets don't seem to have anything to do with whether the verb takes
an object or not.

--
De'vID