[tlhIngan Hol] Apollo mission sentence

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed May 1 08:34:48 PDT 2019

On 5/1/2019 11:23 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:

> Read the Ca'Non sentence from the "Smithsonian Go Figure app":
>

> {tera jar Soch, DIS wa Hut jav
>
> Hut, maSDaq SaqmeH Qu' wa'DIch
>
> HochHom turlu'taHvIS, wej logh
>
> lengwIpu pa'mey 'oH Apollo wamaH wa' ra'ghom bobcho Columbia'e'}
>

> "Apollo 11 Command Module, Columbia, was the living quarters for the
> three-person crew during most of the first manned lunar landing
> mission in July 1969".
>

> The {Qu' wa'DIch} is obviously the subject of {SaqmeH}. It can't be
> the {Qu' wa'DIch HochHom} since the goal wasn't for "almost all of the
> mission to land on the moon".
>

> And then we have the {HochHom turlu'taHvIS} which is used to express
> the "during most of the first manned lunar landing mission".
>

> However, since the subject of the {SaqmeH} is only the {Qu' wa'DIch},
> shouldn't there be a comma right after it ?

*maSDaq SaqmeH Qu' wa'DIch HochHom turlu'taHvIS
*/while most of the first moon-landing mission was being carried out/

This is a single /while/ clause.

*X turlu'taHvIS*
/while one does X/

The X is a noun phrase, *maSDaq SaqmeH Qu' wa'DIch HochHom* /most of the
first mission-to-land-on-the-moon./

A *SaqmeH Qu'* is a /landing mission,/ a /mission for landing./ Remember
that purposes clauses can be attached to nouns that are not the subject
of that clause. *Qu'* is not the subject of *SaqmeH.*

If that mission happens at the moon, it is a *maSDaq SaqmeH Qu'*/landing
mission on the moon./ The locative is added to the verb as usual. The
fact that this verb is part of a dependent clause is irrelevant.

It's the first moon-landing mission, *maSDaq SaqmeH Qu' wa'DIch.*

We're only talking about /most/ of the mission: *maSDaq SaqmeH Qu'
wa'DIch HochHom.*