[tlhIngan Hol] Is DIn the opposite of qa'rI' ?

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 03:25:49 PDT 2019

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 at 20:50, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu> wrote:

> To get the discussion started...
> (HQ 12.2:7-8):  For the end of a longish enclosed space that one is
> typically inside of or experiences from the inside, such as a corridor,
> tunnel, or conduit (say, a Jeffries tube or a branch of the sewers of
> Paris), a different word is used: {qa'rI'}.  This is the only word; it's
> used for both (or all) ends.  The open entryway leading into such a space
> is called a {Din}.  If there's a door there, it's referred to by the usual
> word for door, {lojmIt}.   {qa'rI'} is also used for the end of bounded
> space which is seen as having length even if it is not enclosed space.
> Thus, it is used for the end of a road, the end of a bridge, the end of a
> long field.  (Maltz didn't think it would mean much of anything to refer to
> the {qa'rI'} of a square field.)  On the other hand, if a bridge is under
> construction and lies halfway across a river or gorge or freeway, it may be
> said to have a {megh'an} (or {'er'In}).  One could, in theory, hang a sign
> or flag from the {megh'an} (or {'er'In}), but one could walk on this
> incomplete bridge only as far as the {qa'rI'}.

btw if anyone is wondering why {DIn}, {qa'rI'}, {megh'an}, and {'er'In}
sound like people names, it's because they are. (Dean, Kari, Megan, and
Erin are members of Marc Okrand's family.)

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.kli.org/pipermail/tlhingan-hol-kli.org/attachments/20190329/b0346057/attachment-0005.htm>

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list