[tlhIngan Hol] Verbs of measure

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Mar 28 08:24:03 PDT 2019

In my fantasies, I think of myself as defiant enough to use a Type 7 suffix on the main verb of a second sentence in a Sentence As Object construction… but in fact, when I’m writing and I’m faced with an opportunity to do this… I find some entirely different way to state what I was going to say that doesn’t involve SAO at all, especially since I think that overusing it is lazy. There are often other ways of saying things, especially when the temptation is to string out multiple SAOAOAOAO constructions.

So, yes, I do accept the rules and follow them, but typically not by implying a missing Type 7 in SAO. More likely, I’ll just recast the whole thing and avoid the entire issue. Ditto for {-moH} ditransitives. I don’t have to break rules I don’t like. I can just go somewhere else and avoid the entire problem.

For me, the whole point of writing in Klingon is to work within the limits and still come up with clear, meaningful expressions. I’ll make enough unintentional mistakes. I don’t need to make any intentional ones.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.