[tlhIngan Hol] Verbs of measure

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 14:33:33 PDT 2019

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 at 19:16, mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> My problem is with the {tlhIngan maH! taHjaj!}..
>
> From the first time I heard it, I felt that something was off with
> that sentence; but I knew that since a specific person wrote it, and
> it appears in a star trek too, then no one was going to admit that
> there is something not quite right with that sentence.

That sentence was originally {tlhIngan maHtaHjaj!} It's precisely because
people *did* point out that it may be a problem to use {-taH} and {-jaj}
together that it was reinterpreted as two sentences.

But also:
{wo' ghawran DevtaHjaj!} (toast)

Note that there's something like a century (someone else can do the math)
between these political slogans. But clearly, whatever TKD says, at some
point it became acceptable for the suffixes {-taH} and {-jaj} to be used
together. It may even be that {tlhIngan maH! taHjaj!} was re- or mis-
interpreted as {tlhIngan maHtaHjaj!}, which was what made {-taHjaj}
acceptable.

--
De'vID