[tlhIngan Hol] when -laH cripples the -lu'

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 01:18:24 PDT 2019

De'vID:
> Why wouldn't you just use {vay'}, and then subsequently
> use {ghaH} to refer back to that person?

I'm afraid you misunderstood me.

I don't have a problem with using vay' and then ghaH, as you suggested. It
is what I would naturally do, in order to avoid hitting the -lu'/-laH
problem.

The point of this thread, was to share my disappointment; on one hand we
have a suffix, which we could use in order to refer to someone indefinite,
but on the other hand, the -lu'/-laH rule, undermines our ability to use
-lu' to its fullest, thus limiting its use to expressing passive voice.

Anyway, there are plenty of choices available, so all is good.

~ changan qIj