[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing exterior

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Mar 14 14:45:20 PDT 2019

On 3/14/2019 5:08 PM, Will Martin wrote:
> The reason I said it was a half effort was that your example
> specifically excluded the obvious solution because you already knew
> the word you should be using and instead forced {Hur} into a
> completely unnecessary role. A full effort would have involved an
> example that didn’t have a word like {reD} to fill in what you want to
> argue is a void in Klingon’s capacity of expression that can only be
> filled by your interpretation of the potential range of meaning of the
> word {Hur}, which you already know people disagree with.

He's annoyed because he's giving an example as an illustration, not as a
problem to solve. He doesn't particularly care about bones; he wants to
know how to talk about exterior surfaces of all kinds. You're scolding
him for not being interested in your answer about bones.

> As for your tumor example, I still don’t see the difference between it
> escaping from the bone, vs. breaking through the surface of the bone.

He wants to know how to distinguish which surface of the bone it
protrudes from; he doesn't care about the protruding part.

> It can break through the barrier between muscle and bone or between
> bone and blood. Here, the significance is less the surface than the
> system into which the tumor newly invades.
>
> Is there a surface example that can’t be handled with the word {veH}?

I'm not convinced that the outer surface of a pillow would be considered
a boundary in any but the most esoteric of discussions.