[tlhIngan Hol] naDev and 'el

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Mon Mar 11 11:41:21 PDT 2019

Remember that Klingon doesn’t have articles. The presence of articles varies a lot by language, and there are arbitrary times in each language that has articles when articles are needed. French requires them more often than English. Malasian doesn’t have them at all. Turkish doesn’t have them. ASL doesn’t have them.

The difference between the awkward “I enter the here” and the less awkward “I enter here” is all about the definite article, which is definitely unnecessary for “here”, since there is only one “here” in the Universe, defined by deictic reference of the statement that contains it. The Universe is full of places that are somebody’s “here”, but MY “here” is unique (even if it’s scope might be a bit vague).

Imagine two people planning a military operation, looking at a map. The index finger points to the spot defining “Here”. “You enter here.”

Does that seem awkward to you?

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.