[tlhIngan Hol] -meH with -pu'/-ta'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Mar 13 07:31:47 PDT 2019

On 3/13/2019 10:03 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:

> There is something which doesn't sit with me so well, in the
> simultaneous use of -meH with -pu' or -ta'.
>

> Lets say I write:
>

> {vIghro' tIQ vIje'meH, HuchwIj Hoch vI'anmoHpu'}
>
> In order to buy the ancient cat, I went bankrupt.
>

> How would this be any different from writing:
>

> {vIghro' tIQ vIje'ta'meH, HuchwIj Hoch vI'anmoHpu'} ?
>

> First of all, it sounds weird to say {vIje'ta'meH} "in order that I
> have bought"; but that aside, is there any reason to use a -pu' or
> -ta' on the -meH part of the sentence, if I'm to use them in the part
> of the sentence that comes after the -meH ? Isn't the meaning the same
> in either case ?

*je'meH* isn't just an action, it's a /purpose./ I'm not sure what
having a completed purpose means. I know what completing having a
purpose means, but that's something different. I wouldn't put perfective
here unless I had a very good reason I could articulate.

I'm not sure how *'an* /waste /and *'anmoH*/sacrifice/ are related.
Shouldn't *Huch vI'an* mean /I waste money?/ And if so, shouldn't *Huch
vI'anmoH* mean either /I cause money to waste (something)/ or /I cause
(someone unspecified) to waste money?/