[tlhIngan Hol] A long document

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 02:21:19 PDT 2019

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 at 09:52, Lieven L. Litaer <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 11.03.2019 um 09:45 schrieb mayqel qunen'oS:
> > Without knowing the correct answer (if there is one to start with..), I
> > would choose tIq.
>
> I would also prefer tIq over nI', but it might certainly be possible
> there's another word for that. The word {tIq} makes me think of
> something that is somehow longer than wide, such as a rope or a stick.

I think it depends on the specific text. For things which are transcribed
speech, like {bom mu'} or {SoQ ghItlh} or even {lut}, I would use {nI'}.
The word {tIq} seems to describe something physically larger in one
dimension than others. If you told me {tIq paq}, I'd imagine a book with
the dimensions of one of those wine list booklets from a fancy restaurant.
For a {tetlh} or {Qumran}, {tIq} might be appropriate.

(If you use {tIq} for a recipe, it might get confused with the body part.)

--
De'vID