[tlhIngan Hol] ghoS and {-vo'}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Jun 13 16:51:15 PDT 2019

On 6/13/2019 7:15 PM, Daniel Dadap wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2019, at 08:59, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name
> <mailto:sustel at trimboli.name>> wrote:
>
>> *DaqvamDaq yIghoS* (commanding multiple people)
>>
> … poD vay' …
>>
>> Meanwhile, *DaqvamDaq peghoS* would mean that while you are in this
>> place, you should go somewhere.
>>

> Thanks. That matched my understanding.
>
> I’ve seen “locative” used for {-Daq} before but until your recent
> message I don’t think I’ve seen “ablative” for {-vo'}. Is this a
> common convention, or just something that you use personally? Could
> {-vaD} be described as “dative”, using this same alien grammatical
> terminology? Maybe causal for {-mo'}?

Most people don't say /ablative,/ but it fits, is convenient, and
corresponds to /locative./ *-vaD* isn't dative because it's also
benefactive. You could use /dative/ or /benefactive/ when describing a
sentence that clearly has one or the other of these senses, but they're
not separate noun cases in Klingon. Unless there is a noun case out
there that combines these two, /dative/benefactive/ is the best you're
going to get. /Causal/ works for *-mo',* but I prefer /causative,/
simply because it fits in with the others.

These are just words to describe Klingon, not inherent properties of the
language.