[tlhIngan Hol] Difference between {rIp} and {yej}

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 25 06:16:57 PDT 2019

That’s an old question that is still unclear AFAIK.  Here’s what I have in my notes:

rIp                         council,  assembly (n)  [not used in the paq’batlh]
quprIp                  Council of Elders (n)

yej                         assembly,  council (n)  [not used in the paq’batlh]
-  yIvuv, tIquvma. pagh SoH.  yejvamvaD jeSmeH DIb Dabajbe'pu'.
    Show respect, T'Kuvma. You are nothing. You have not earned a seat
    at this council. (DSC/Qov "Battle At the Binary Stars" [non-canon!])
yejHaD                 institute (KLI),  institution KGT (n)
yejquv                 High Council (n)
yej'an                   society (e.g. scholarly society) (n)

(HQ 4.4):  The distinction between {yejHaD} and {yej'an} is not clear, though the former is usually - but not always - used for larger organizations. It is not known whether the first syllable of these words ({yej}) is {yej} “council, assembly”, but there could be some historic connection.

I can’t see any difference as to how they are used.  Has anyone ever asked Okrand?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

From: mayqel qunen'oS

Both {rIp} and {yej} mean "assembly, council".
Is there any kind of difference between them, or are they perfect synonyms ?