[tlhIngan Hol] Difference between {rIp} and {yej}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Jun 25 06:13:39 PDT 2019

On 6/25/2019 9:08 AM, De'vID wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 at 14:50, mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com
> <mailto:mihkoun at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Both {rIp} and {yej} mean "assembly, council".
>
>     Is there any kind of difference between them, or are they perfect
>     synonyms ?
>

> Types of {rIp}:
> {quprIp}
>
> Types of {yej}:
> {yejquv}, {yejHaD}, {yej'an}
>
> You tell me if they're perfect synonyms.

    An organization dedicated to scholastic pursuits or research is a
    *yejHaD* /institute/ or /institution/ or a *yej'an* /society./ The
    distinction between *yejHaD* and *yej'an* is not clear, though the
    former is usually — but not always — used for larger organizations.
    It is not known whether the first syllable of these words
    *(**yej**)* is *yej* /council, assembly,/ but there could be some
    historic connection. /[HolQeD]/

With this warning from Okrand regarding analyzing *yej* in these
words**, I would avoid drawing a conclusion about the difference between
*rIp* and *yej* based on those words.