[tlhIngan Hol] can I say "decided upon him" ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Jul 23 08:07:06 PDT 2019

On 7/23/2019 10:50 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> The reason I'm asking, is because although the "I decided upon him"
> sounds fine, the "I decided him" sounds strange.
>
> And the {wuq} is given as "decide, decide upon".

When you get multiple glosses in an entry, they're there to better guide
you to the meaning and usage of the word. You don't have to be able to
make the possible Klingon objects fit with every English term given.

The word *wuq* was used in Skybox S25 in the sentence *ngoch luchermeH
'ej wo' San luwuqmeH pa' ghom tlhIngan yejquv DevwI'pu'* /[There] the
leaders of the Klingon High Council meet to determine policy and decide
upon the fate of the Empire./ It was also used in KGT with *DaH
yIwuq*/Decide now!/

Given the S25 sentence, I don't see any reason you can't *wuq* a person
as well as you can *wuq* a fate. *vIwuqpu'*/I decided upon
him/her/it/them/ should be fine. The fact that you can /decide fate/ but
not /decide him/ in English is just a quirk of English.