[tlhIngan Hol] yong and yongHa'

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 09:01:55 PDT 2019

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 10:58 AM Will Martin <willmartin2 at mac.com> wrote:

> None of this conflicts with what SuStel said. I agree about {-Daq} making
> a noun the location of the action and not the object of the action. I’m
> just trying to add my spin on understanding the details of meaning of
> {yong} and why Maltz bothered to give us a word so similar to {‘el}.

This page <http://www.english-to-go.com/English/sample_anna_grammar.cfm>
suggests that the distinction in the English glosses is that "get in"
implies difficulty or some sort of process involved, although I'm having
trouble finding other sources phrasing it that way. We may need to ask
Maltz for the precise difference, if any. (If only there were some upcoming
event where someone could ask MO...)

I suspect that the actual reason we have two similar words is a little more
prosaic:

> (Also, as I think I've mentioned in the past, one of the things I was
> thinking about when writing TKD was making it, sometimes, a parody of those
> language books that have only suggestions of pronunciations and
> dictionaries that have ambiguous meanings for words.)

https://www.qephom.de/e/message_from_maltz_160920.html
Presenting glosses that are near-synonyms without explaining the actual
differences would have been another way to make TKD more like a parody of a
badly-written language book.