[tlhIngan Hol] A way to happiness

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Jul 8 08:27:30 PDT 2019

On 7/8/2019 9:59 AM, Will Martin wrote:
> I don’t get {‘e’ vIwIvmo’.} SAO, as I’ve always understood it,
> consists of two complete sentences linked by the pronoun. The second
> sentence here is a dependent clause. Maybe this is just informal
> speech, but it seems ungrammatical, as if this is proper grammar for
> answering a question, but I’m not sure that’s the case.
>
> Consider in English the difference between two answers to “Why are you
> sad?”:
>
> 1. "Because my nephew just died."
>
> 2. “My nephew just died.”
>
> The first version doesn’t add any meaning, and it’s not really
> grammatically complete. Any answer to a “Why” question is already
> known to be a reason, so you don’t need to begin it with “Because…”

There is plenty of evidence to show that when TKD speaks of "sentences,"
it really refers to any verbal clause.

/paq'batlh/ has examples of using *'e'* in a dependent clause.

    *qeylIS Qaw’ ‘e’ nIDmeH
         yerDaj weH molor
         ‘ej juH qachDaj meQmoH*

    /Molor did not destroy Kahless//
    //    By burning his house//
    //    Or ravaging his lands./*
    *

    *Hoch qImmoH mu’meyDaj**
    **    ghob ‘ach ‘ej val**
    **    yIntaH ‘e’ luleghmo’ chaH mer*

    All were bemused by his words,
         Wise and full of spirit,
         And astonished to see him alive.

    *le’yo’raj nIHlu’ta’mo’ penoD jatlh qeylIS**
    **    nuHmeyraj tIQorgh**
    **    watlh ‘Iwraj ‘e’ lu’aghmo’ nuHmey jej*

    /About avenging their stolen pride,//
    //    About caring for their weapons,//
    //    For they represent the purity of their blood./

    *jatlh ‘e’ mevDI’ qeylIS, lop**
    **    chaq tugh batlh Heghmo’**
    **    ‘ej chaq tugh charghmo’*

    /After Kahless’s words, they celebrate,
         For they may soon die with honor!
         For they may soon be victorious!/

    *veqlarghvo’ narghbogh loD
         chutDaj bIv ‘e’ ngIlbogh loD
         DaH pongDaj Sov qotar
    *

    /Now Kotar has the name
         Of the one who eluded Fek’lhr,
         And dared to defy his rules.
    /

I'll stop here. There are undoubtedly more.

Now, if you're concerned that the dependent clause is never followed up
by a main clause, I'd just chalk that up to informal speech, as you suggest.