[tlhIngan Hol] A way to happiness

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Mon Jul 8 06:59:42 PDT 2019

I don’t get {‘e’ vIwIvmo’.} SAO, as I’ve always understood it, consists of two complete sentences linked by the pronoun. The second sentence here is a dependent clause. Maybe this is just informal speech, but it seems ungrammatical, as if this is proper grammar for answering a question, but I’m not sure that’s the case.

Consider in English the difference between two answers to “Why are you sad?”:

1. "Because my nephew just died."

2. “My nephew just died.”

The first version doesn’t add any meaning, and it’s not really grammatically complete. Any answer to a “Why” question is already known to be a reason, so you don’t need to begin it with “Because…”

As a side note, my nephew just shot himself. I don’t know if truth is stranger than fiction, but it competes admirably well.

Also, instead of {QIpwI’pu’mo’ jIghoHbe’}, I’d go for, {ghoHDI’ QIpwI’pu’, jIjeSQo’}. It just seems clearer as to what my action is. It leaves me the option of actually arguing when those who argue are not fools, whereas if I say that I don’t argue BECAUSE of fools, then since fools perpetually exist, I never get to argue.

But I get the joke.

ghojwI’Hom: nuq ‘oH bIQuchtaHmeH mIwlIj’e'?

ghojmoHwI’’a’: ghoHDI’ qoHpu’, jIjeSQo'.

ghojwI’Hom: QIpchu' Qechvam.

ghojmoHwI’’a’: bIlugh. maQochbe’chu’.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.